Orléans Brewing Co. (OBC) is looking for a Head Brewer to manage production, product development, packaging and cellaring, quality control and yeast management. Orléans Brewing Company is a craft brewery in Ottawa operating since June 2017, independently owned and operational.
OBC currently sells over 10 rotating brands of beer to licensees and has expanded into LCBO with two beers and a third expected in The BEER STORE and groceries by end of 2021.
The brewery provides a unique opportunity for a talented brewer to join a brewery that will allow you input into the creation and production of creative, consistent, and quality products.
The brewery includes a 15 bbl brewhouse, 4 fermenters, 2 brite tanks, and a 40-70 person onsite tasting room.
The company is committed to producing top quality beer in both cutting-edge and classic styles. Product will be packaged in kegs, cans, crowlers and small-batch brews in bottles.
Experience and Education
- Professional brewing education, equivalent experience, or related education
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and execute the entire process involved in the production of all beer
- Manage production scheduling, inventory, and consumable ordering
- Oversee cellaring and packaging
- Develop, formulate, and produce new beer recipes
- Document and report all production activities
- Manage, schedule and conduct sanitation and cleaning, using standardized operating procedures
- Lead quality control for all products, including microbiological testing, sensory evaluation and data interpretation and reporting
- Successfully manage Yeast
- Follow all safety procedures and communicate all required safety information to production and packaging staff
- Work a flexible schedule as required, including some evenings and weekends
- Appear at or participate in promotional or industry events, as required
- Consistently focus on supporting, building, and promoting the brand and products
- Develop, formulate, and produce new product alcoholic recipes
Competencies and Abilities
- Focussed on producing excellent beer over a wide variety of progressive styles in support of a high-quality customer experience
- Ability to work independently and problem solve with limited supervision
- Strong technical brewer, with focus on procedure, measurement, and repeatability
- Ability to develop new and creative recipes with a wide variety of ingredients
- Competent with using fruit, spices, oak, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, and other adjuncts to create desired flavour profiles
- Exceptional organisational and time management skills with the ability to maintain attention to detail
- Ability to safely lift heavy loads such as full kegs and grain sacks
- Ability to work collaboratively within a supportive team environment
- Possess good interpersonal, communication, and conflict resolution skills
- Suggest improvements in our processes that reduce costs, improve products, and/or evolve new beers
- Ability to follow instructions and multi-task while remaining focused Ability to work on your feet for extended periods of time (up to 12-hour shift)
- Physical capability to lift 50-100 pounds.
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves with a true desire to help and be part of the team.
- Forklift training/certification
- Supporting skills (i.e. construction, machinery maintenance, food safe)
To apply, please email resume and cover letter with HEAD BREWER as subject, to yann@OBCbeer.com.
We appreciate all who express interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.